[AccessD] (no subject)

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Fri Oct 7 12:01:34 CDT 2005

The whole issue of many of these viruses and Trojans is that they use a very
common issue with many programs written in C and C++.

The process used to get control of the resident computer, is to use a simple
script, to first push an address on to the stack, which points back to the
hacker's program and then flood the character buffer of some poorly written
application. The application crashes and Windows recovers by returning
through the stack... which points back to the hackers' code.

Both C and C++ have very simple languages. If you create a string variable
of a length of 50 characters, unlike other languages, if you attempt to push
a string of 65 characters into that string variable, it will accept it. What
happens to the other 15 characters?... well they write off into the string
buffer over-writing the end of string Null character and who knows what
else. (Anyone remembers Fortran common blocks?) It is up to the C programmer
to assure that this can not happen by writing the appropriate code to check
string lengths and number sizes, in their application.

In most cases, hackers are not working around holes left in applications but
are just taking advantage of poorly written code.

Jim