[AccessD] OT: Firewall

pctech at mybellybutton.com pctech at mybellybutton.com
Mon Oct 10 13:06:01 CDT 2005

John Bartow <john at winhaven.net> wrote on 10/10/2005, 06:52:31 PM:
> Until something comes out of Symantec's buy out I have nothing negative to
> say about it. In fact, I have it running on my mom's pc :o)

Not to sound biased, but there are better no-cost/low-cost options out
there if you have a spare PC lying around.

Being a computer network engineer, part of my job is providing solutions
for my employer with regards to "all things network".  A document I
recently completed, and I consider at draft 1 stage, is a document on
how to build a Linux based firewall from bare metal on up.

It doesn't discuss the rule sets themselves, but the rule set
configurations are discussed in the documentation for the application
used to create them.

Aside from a few initial setup tasks the majority of the firewall
configuration is done via a web interface adn a GUI interface.

This documentation also covers the installation of a transparent proxy
and a content filtering system.

Any firewall ran on top of Windows suffers from all of the inherent
attacks against the host OS.  Which is why I run a dedicated machine,
even at home, for my firewall, and it's not running Windows.