[AccessD] OT: Firewall

John Colby jwcolby at ColbyConsulting.com
Mon Oct 10 16:36:04 CDT 2005

pctech at mybellybutton.com

I take it you want to be known as pctech at mybellybutton.com?  I have to
assume that if you can figure out how to do software firewalls you can
figure out how to do signatures?

>Actually, using a "live" CD it WOULD be trivial to build a firewall based
on a "boot CD".  But would you REALLY want to?  Think about it.  That "live"
CD wouldn't have updates on it.  This means you'd have to have new "live" CD
every time that you wanted to update the OS on the firewall.

I don't want to have to update the OS on the firewall.  I don't want to know
that the firewall exists.  I currently own a Dlink 624.  Once a year or so I
go download any firmware updates, over the web.  Pretty much click, click, I
am done.  Other than that I pay no attention to it.

I do not consider myself closed minded.  I downloaded (about two years ago)
one of the Linux distros.  I got it working.  I even downloaded and
installed OfficeStar.  I know it is getting easier and easier.  None of
which means I personally want to do that stuff.  I think you have an agenda
(to have people build a firewall themselves).  I do not (at least in this
area).  I don't care if you set up a spare PC as a firewall, or teach others
how.  I don't care if Rocky goes out and buys a multi-hundred dollar "out of
the box" solution, or builds your custom firewall, or uses some software
firewall, or indeed, if he uses nothing at all.  I just don't care.

However... I have been in computers since 1972.  I know enough to know that
whether it is Windows, or Linux, or VMS, or CPM, if something goes wrong it
takes digging to figure out what is happening.  The more you know about the
OS, the less digging it takes.  I know that things DO go wrong, and the less
you know, the more likely something WILL go wrong.

I personally know nothing about Linux.  I don't want to know anything about
Linux.  I am CAPABLE of learning enough to do what you propose, I just don't
WANT to.  The very fact that you are discussing OS updates tells me I don't
want to.  Additionally, I think the effort to do so is not in proportion to
any risk I might be taking by not doing so.

>However when someone that doesn't do this for a living tries to correct me
on something that I do on a daily basis, I will correct them.

I am not attempting to correct you, I am stating an opinion, which I believe
I very clearly stated.  My opinion still is, that setting up and MAINTAINING
a custom firewall is a non-trivial task.  Getting it running is no doubt the
easiest part of the project.  Setting up a complex SQL Server database is
non-trivial, but even if you get it set up, MAINTAINING it is beyond the
capability of anyone not trained in SQL Server.  THAT is my point.  Things
happen.  Handling those things requires training.

If this firewall sits in the corner and never needs to be touched, then we
are back to "give me a disk that I can install it with" and I will do so.
You can't have it both ways, either it is no maintenance and I can just load
the disk and go (and leave it humming in the corner for the next 10 years),
or things happen and I will have to deal with them.  I don't WANT to deal
with them.

>Without the screen shots, the document itself is less than 30 pages.

In none of your emails so far have you offered up this document, in fact you
seemed to indicate it was not really in a state to share.  Do you need a
place to post it?  I just happen to have a brand new web site (part of what
I spend MY time doing) where I can offer a page to you to put this document
on if you care to publish it.  I can also put the document itself up with a
hotlink for anyone who desires to do so can download the entire thing.

I am always happy to help you assist anyone who is interested in doing
something like this.

http://folding.stanford.edu/

Actually, using a "live" CD it WOULD be trivial to build a frewall based on
a "boot CD".  But would you REALLY want to?  Think about it.  That "live" CD
wouldn't have updates on it.  This means you'd have to have
new "live" CD every time that you wanted to update the OS on the firewall.
This is a non-starter without some sort of subscription service.  This sorta
defeats the whole purpose.

Without the screen shots, the document itself is less than 30 pages.
The screen shots themselves take up alot of real estate in the document.
The screen shots were done with useability in mind.  How many times have you
read a book on something and though, "I wish I could see what they were
talking about"?  These screen shots obviate that statement.

You misunderstand.  You think I am taking it personal.  I'm not.
However when someone that doesn't do this for a living tries to correct me
on something that I do on a daily basis, I will correct them.  Just as I'd
expect that you would if I were to make some off-base development comment.
You are the one that seems close-minded about this, without even having seen
the document, I might add.