[AccessD] OT: My web site and WebHost4Life

John Colby jwcolby at ColbyConsulting.com
Tue Oct 11 08:00:16 CDT 2005

>Don't you have any competition? $100 per month would kill an ISP here.

That is my cable company and no, in my particular case there is no
competition since I live outside the range of the nearest DSL repeater.
Even if I did, they are priced about the same long term.  That $100 / month
is for a business package of course, with a fixed IP, more bandwidth (up)
and other little goodies, as well as no port blocking.

My "home" package is $50 / month.  For that I get about 5 mbit down and 1
mbit up speeds, which is about as fast as you can find for the moment,
though really fast access is coming - just not out here in the woods where I
live.  I also have to live with Port 25 blocking as well as blocking of a
slew of other ports, mostly used for setting up your own web and ftp sites.
They are trying to prevent you from serving up video, audio and file
transfer sites mostly I think, plus limit spam (port 25 blocking).

http://folding.stanford.edu/