[AccessD] OT: Firewall

pctech at mybellybutton.com pctech at mybellybutton.com
Tue Oct 11 11:56:02 CDT 2005

John Colby <jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com> wrote on 10/11/2005, 05:56:21
AM:
> Frank,
>
> >He judged the document without having ever seen it.
>
> I tried to judge it AFTER reading it but I couldn't find it.  I have offered
> to post it however, and the offer stands.
>
> Lighten up buddy.  I am not casting aspersions on your document, or your
> abilities.  You sound to me like you know what you are doing.
>
> And I am willing, on further consideration, to suspend my disbelief re
> whether a dedicated PC firewall could be as easy as you make it sound.  If
> it is in fact that easy, I want one.  I think I said that somewhere in this
> exchange.  But it does have to just sit in the corner humming and not bother
> me.  No OS updates and stuff.
>
> John W. Colby
> www.ColbyConsulting.com
>
> Contribute your unused CPU cycles to a good cause:
> http://folding.stanford.edu/

That's one of the nice things about Linux.  It can update itself
automatically, including a scheduled reboot *IF* the kernel has been
updated.  Linux is flexible that way.  It even automatically restarts
any services or daemons that have been replaced by an update. As an
example, I have had to manually touch my home firewall that I built,
that a large portion of this document is based on, exactly 5 times in
the last 2 years.  Yes, I actually keep maintenance logs on my home
systems.  One of those times was when I built it.  One was to replace
failed RAM.  One was because my ISP and I thought I had a network card
problem that turned out to be an issue with my VDSL gateway box.  The
other two were because I wanted to take the fierwall apart and blow the
dust out.  Linux and other *nix variants can run for a very long time
without reboots.  My firewall automatically reboots at 2:00am if, and
only if, the kernel has been updated.  Even then, it doesn't absolutely
need to be rebooted.  It only needs to be erbooted if you want to use
the newly updated kernel.  It will run just fine on the existing kernel
that is loaded in memory.

No, I didn't post a link to the document.  For a couple of reasons.  At
the moment it is in first draft stage.  I just completed it yesterday.
Decond, even though I own the mybellybutton.com Internet domain name, I
don't have a web site set up at the moment.

I will send you a copy of the document off-list.