[AccessD] CSV with no header

John Colby jwcolby at ColbyConsulting.com
Tue Oct 11 18:12:15 CDT 2005

In the end, I don't get to choose.  This is a government export for PlanD of
the Medicare system (or something like that).  The gov says "these fields,
in this format".  The only problem is that they simply say "csv with no
header".  What does that mean exactly?

http://folding.stanford.edu/

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 5:36 PM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: Re: [AccessD] CSV with no header

On 11 Oct 2005 at 10:46, Jim Moss wrote:

> If I had commas within strings, then I would select another delimiter
> like a |. I think that you can set that up in a specification.

In the Access Import/ExportText wizards you can specify any delimiter you
like and also specify whether to quote strings.  One problem is when
strings themselves contain quotes :-(

I prefer to use Tab delimited files.  That way fields can contain
commas,single/double quotes etc.  Tabs are a widely accepted
"standard"delimiter, you can specift Tab delimited as a Save format in
Excel and can also select Tab as the delimiter in ImportText/ExportText
specifications in Access.  If you are building your own file with Print#,
it's easy to throw in a Chr$(9) and not have to worry about what characters
are in the strings.

--
Stuart