[AccessD] Laptop Crashed again Help

Frank Tanner III pctech at mybellybutton.com
Sun Oct 16 00:08:35 CDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-10-15 at 21:46 -0700, Joe Hecht wrote:
> I got the infamous Blue Screen this morning. Dell
> Inspiron 8200. 512  megs  40 gigs
>
> Tried to reboot. It said" No, I do not want to"
>
> It continued "Windows could not start because the
> following file is missing or corrupt.
> \windows\system32\config\system.
>
> I got to a  dos start up screen. Tried last known
> good.
>
> It said no( Lippy little laptop.}
>
> Ran repair console  chkdsk /r /f at fifty percent, it
> gave up and said multiple non repairable errors.
>
> Thoughts on hardware or software issues to look at.
> This was a new hard drive about a year or two ago.
>
> Just spent $158 for a new battery. Any system test to
> see if this good money going into a bad machine?
>
> Thanks
>
> Joe

Before you carry the laptop around, do you completely shut it down, put
it into standby, or just shut the lid?

The reason I ask is if you put it into standby or just shut the lid,
which puts the system into standby, the hard drive may, and sometimes
does, still spin up.  The shock of carrying it around like this can
cause hard drive problems.