[AccessD] Data interface The best way

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Sun Oct 16 15:19:14 CDT 2005

Hi Shamil

Thanks for your snippets and thoughts.

I think these fellows hit the point. I would like to believe in the
value of full O/R mapping - and maybe LINQ will make this come true.
But when I study my latest task (with an Jet backend, not SQL Server)
with some quite complicated statistical calculations using dozens of
highly optimized queries - which I probably would not have been able to
construct without the query designer of Access - I have a hard time
imagining how this should have been accomplished in pure OO code without
running at a crawl ... unless, of course, if the objects operate
directly in the engine as the case is for Intersystems' Caché engine.

But I would like to be positively surprised ...

/gustav

>>> shamil at users.mns.ru 16-10-2005 14:37 >>>
<<<<<<<<<<

http://www.mygenerationsoftware.com/portal/dOOdads/Overview/tabid/63/Default.aspx

> "an elegant .NET architecture available in C# and VB.NET and capable
of
> supporting any .NET managed data provider."
> "Currently dOOdads are available for Microsoft SQL, Oracle,
> Firebird, Access, PostgreSQL, VistaDB, SQLite, and MySQL."

Gustav,

Here is Ted Neward's a very strong statement on the subject
"Object-relational technologies are the Vietnam of the Computer Science
industry":
http://www.netacademia.net/blogspace/petert/archives/001665.html
<<<
Obviously some people do have success with O-R layers; similarly, some
governments have had success with fighting against insurgents and wars
of independence. But far more often than not, it requires an investment
of time, capital and energy that just doesn't pay out in the long run.
Wars of insurgency are notoriously difficult things to finally put to
rest, and object-relational technologies are similarly difficult.
Preserving the "Objects and only Objects" Theory in your development
methodologies is about as difficult as preserving the Domino Theory was
in 1960.

So, I think I'd better stay away/be very careful with software like
dOOdads - I'd use such software very limted way just to automate the
things, which I anyway plan to develop manually but I'd not rely on them
as the key development tools - the IT industry experience shows this
very probably be a "dead end" race (and my own experience shows the same
- I worked with a wise guy who developed advanced O-R mapping tool, yes,
he made it not bad but at
what cost! - I can't afford such high costs with such low end result
Work on O-R mapping isn't complicated but it needs enormous resources to
develop a valuable "semi-universal" end-result - maybe MS with LINQ will
make it at last - but as you can find many people doubt it)...

Shamil