[AccessD] Why 255?

Lonnie Johnson prodevmg at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 19 13:29:48 CDT 2005

Thanks Drew for that breakdown.

DWUTKA at marlow.com wrote:
And just for an example Lonnie, the size limit of a text field. It's 255.
When Jet actually writes the data for a text field, it writes the first byte
to represent the size of that field. For example, if you had a table like
this:

Field1:
Happy
Smiles

Howdy, how are you?

Inside the .mdb file itself, you would have this information: (I will use
Asc(*) to represent a byte with the value represented by the asterick)

Asc(5)HappyAsc(6)SmilesAsc(1)Astuff>Asc(0)Asc(19)Howdy, how are you?

That way, when Jet is reading the table, it reads the first byte, then it
reads that number of following bytes to retrieve the data for that
particular field.

Thus the limit of 255 characters in a text field.

Drew