[AccessD] VSS misbehaving

Charlotte Foust cfoust at infostatsystems.com
Thu Oct 27 10:26:37 CDT 2005

We use VSS with .Net in our shop with multiple developers and I don't
feel that it's any more trouble than it was in Access ... Usually.  The
biggest problem we had was with a non-existent object that had once
existed and been deleted but it was still referenced in the project file
somehow.  Once we manually edited the project file, the problem
disappeared.  The other problem I've seen is that references between
projects can occasionally cause an extraneous reference to the current
project to be inserted, which then needs deleting before the project is
checked back in, since it won't compile otherwise.

The approach I use is to select Add-->New Item, which automatically
checks out the project.  I add a shell form, class, whatever, and check
the project back in.  Then I check out just the new object and work on
it.  Another approach might be to create the object outside source safe
in another solution and then use Add-->Existing Item to include it in
the VSS project.  We break our solution up into multiple projects for
each part:  data, data providers, Nunit tests, Configuration, Reports,
UI, etc.  That way checking out one project to add an object doesn't
create such a hassle for everyone.  Once the object is checked into the
project, you needn't check the project out again unless you need to add
or delete something else.

I don't recall the problem of not being able to see a new object, but it
is most effective to close all open objects before doing a Get Latest
and then do a build or rebuild of the solution.

Charlotte Foust