[AccessD] Really weird message that I cannot figure out

Arthur Fuller artful at rogers.com
Thu Sep 15 13:20:40 CDT 2005

Environment: w2k3 server, access 2k3 (all patches applied).

I have an app called DSA_App_2005-09-15. I back it up daily, giving it
today's name. I use static functions a lot. I have one called
CurrentAssessID(). It is a get/set function which accepts an optional
parameter, i.e. the following two lines show how it can be used:

CurrentAssessID( 123 )      ' sets the value of CurrentAssessID

CurrentAssessID()             ' returns the current value of CurrentAssessID

I have been doing this sort of code for years, and in this app for months.
Everything used to work well, until two days ago. Now suddenly something is
broken and I am mystified.

The really weird part about this is the messages I get.

First, a line that calls CurrentAssessID() gets busted saying "Invalid use
of property". Next, I get a message to the effect that the library
DSA_App_2005-09-15 is not referenced. This makes no sense to me. The library
in question is the app, so how could it not reference itself?

I have already tried creating a brand-new app and importing everything and
compiling it. On compile, it works, but then in run-time it fails. I am
mystified and baffled and desperate for suggestions, insights, or at least
sympathy.

Arthur