[AccessD] Problem with A97 running under WinXP?

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Thu Sep 8 12:46:15 CDT 2005

I am running Access97 on WinXP, I have shifted references to use DAO 3.60
DAO 3.51 Jet Service Packs stopped at SP4, DAO 3.60 has been upgraded to
SP 8
You will get about a 10% slowdown doing this as DAO 3.60 uses unicode
3.51 ANSI.
and you are switching between Jet 3.5 and 4.0
But you will remove a lot of possible error conditions through the SP's.

You can also get slowdowns due to a build up of  data cache errors in
the Backend
MichKa (Michael Kaplan) made a statement that forced me to rethink this
aspect. He said
"For linked tables, there is a LOT of info cached by Jet in the
link as an optimization. However, sometimes backend changes are
made and that cached info is not invalidated as it should be, and
it causes a huge perf hit as Jet tries things that fail (at which
point you hit bug#2, which is that it does not invalidate it here
either). I have seen cases where even RefreshLink would not
totally make this work right.

"The fix? If this is the problem? You should completely delete the
links in the frontend, then after making sure you have recently
compacted the backend, relink all the tables."

Another point
One common performance problems in Access

- LDB locking which a persistent recordset connection fixes
When the symptoms encountered indicate that performance is acceptable
with a single user in the database but drops significantly when two or
more users
are in thedatabase, the problem may be caused by interaction with the
LDB file.
To resolve this issue we need a persistent connection to the back-end
from each of the front-end workstations.  This can be done using a bound
form (hidden)which
is always open or by keeping a recordset open from the BE at all times
via global variable pointer to recordset
..

--
Marty Connelly
Victoria, B.C.