[AccessD] Autonumber Assigned Immediately

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Sep 8 21:20:35 CDT 2005

My reason for not doing that is quite simple as I explained in a previous
email.  An autonumber being the PK is the only PK that makes sense <ducks>,
but as soon as you place meaning on it, it will require changing.  The
problem becomes that you use the PK as an exposed number in 5 forms, 13
queries and 12 reports.  Now the "suit" comes along and requires you change
it to the letters in his daughter's name, scrambled, plus her birthday,
minus his mother's maiden name.  You now have to go add a field to hold this
new construct, and then fix all those forms, reports and queries.  Better,
if you are going to expose the number, that you just add a field to the
table right away, and then immediately (as each record / autonumber is
created) copy the autonumber into this new field.  Now if the "suit" makes
this ridiculous order (and it WILL happen if you DON'T plan for it), you
just alter the field data type, build the ridiculous order number generator
and apply it to the already existing field.  The field name remains the
same, the queries, forms and reports continue to work.

http://folding.stanford.edu/