[AccessD] Autonumber Assigned Immediately

Robert L. Stewart rl_stewart at highstream.net
Fri Sep 9 06:38:22 CDT 2005

Bruce,

No, the real problem is the misuse of it.

Autonumber is perfect for what it is designed for.
It is the uses that people put to it, like the ones
you listed that make it "suck."  Stop trying to use
it for things it was not designed to do.

Oh, if you want more than one autonumber per table,
try Oracle, you can do it with their "sequence"
definitions.  Though, it is really more like a trigger
that numbers things than an autonumber.

Robert