[AccessD] Autonumber Assigned Immediately

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Sep 9 17:30:52 CDT 2005

Of course you are right.  The thing is it is sooooo easy to switch to
surrogate keys, and the advantages are so clear that it amazes me when
people cling to the old way.  I know how to use natural keys, I could do so
quite easily (the using of them, not the maintenance of them), but why in
the world would I?  Switching to surrogate keys OTOH is equally easy (on new
designs) and why not?

I admit that I would not dream of trying to convert an existing design using
natural keys to a surrogate key design, but even in that case I would switch
to surrogate keys for all new additions to the database.

http://folding.stanford.edu/