[AccessD] Child records entered before parent

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sat Sep 10 09:18:55 CDT 2005

Of course this non-normalized method works quite well in certain situations,
and it is absolutely imperative in certain situations where out of order
entry is a functional requirement.

OTOH, the programming overhead on an application by application basis.  I
quoted 10 hours for table build, 10 hours for form build, 10 hours for
"support" and N hours for report building (open ended).  This is a tiny
system, designed to replace a spreadsheet with something more user friendly.
This is a reasonable estimate, and I am hitting that estimate just fine.
Would I be able to with "denormalized data entry"?

This is a one user system - the sole user being the guy that hired me to
build the system.  He understands the entities being modeled, although not
entirely the "m-m relationship tables".  If I did none of the stuff I have
been discussing in this thread it would be OK, with "training" filling the
gaps.

In systems where in order data entry can be accomplished, it cuts the system
design down immensely and should be expected.  I accomplish much of the "out
of order requirement" from form input by ordering the data entry controls
such that the parent objects just naturally get filled in if they don't
exist.  For example, in the disability insurance call center software, there
is an input form.  The first control is the "claimant".  If the claimant is
not found in the combo, a "not in list" event fires opening the claimant
form where the claimant is filled in.  When that form closes the claimant is
now in the combo and can be selected.  I use existing functionality, a
claimant table, a claimant form, and a claimant combo with an existing event
handler to cause the claimant to be captured if they aren't already in the
system.

http://folding.stanford.edu/