[AccessD] Row level locking option - A2K

Jim Dettman jimdettman at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 14 09:42:58 CDT 2005

Bruce,

  I don't think it's a locking issue in the sense that your thinking.  in
fact, enabling row level locking may only make the problem worse.

  Chances are you are bumping into the lock limit in Novell and that's
causing the problem.

  Novell limits the number of locks to stop a run away process, but Access
needs a lot of locks to do what it does, even when locking at page level.

Here's a link to check out:

http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/2914607.htm

Also make sure your up to date on your clients, as it may be related to this
issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q236101/

  I know it says Access 97, but it applies to latter versions as well.  It's
amazing how often you still see old clients being used.

  Won't hurt either to make sure your up to date on Office and JET as well.

Jim.