[AccessD] The future of Access, .NET and SQL

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Sep 28 10:06:45 CDT 2005

Alan,

I submitted a few jobs on punched cards, and programming was NOT much easier
back then.  Each card had fields (as I am sure you will remember) and you
had to make sure you started each piece of the thing in the right column.  I
remember a friend of mine calling Fortran "Basic with all the good stuff
left out".  You submitted your job and when it failed you did it again
fixing just that one thing... Only it was 24 hours later.  You didn't design
applications, you designed little functions.  GoTos to LINE NUMBERS for
crying out loud, instead of functions with strongly typed parameters.

The "good old days" those were NOT.

Yea, things are MUCH more complex today, but you are building MUCH more
powerful applications.  In the "good old days" you called people up on the
telephone to discuss things.  Mucho dinero if they happened to live / work
in New York.  And you didn't even realize that very talented people like
Shamil (living in Russia) even existed, never mind able to teach you stuff
you never knew before.  Now you jump on chat or (gasp) EMAIL them and wait
for a response.  Or even VOIP.

THINK about building an Access application.  Now THINK about building that
back in "the good old days".  A team of programmers, a million dollars in
salary and a million dollars in machine time to build a database that I now
build for a few thousand, by myself, for the little 4 person company down
the road.  And it ran sloooooow as hell, consumed all of the memory, was
tough to maintain, and... Hmm... pretty much sucked.  Assuming of course you
could afford the million bucks for the machine to run it on.

Sorry, but the "good old days" pretty much sucked.

And finally, in the end, programming in VB.Net (or even C#.net I have to
imagine) is not that much more complex than programming in C++ in early
199X.  If you wish to ignore the .net framework you can just "roll your
own".  If you choose to use the .net framework you have at your disposal
thousands of classes for everything from dictionaries, lists and queues
(yes, I wrote a couple of those "back when" and while it was fun, it WASN'T
productive) to sockets for web conversations, and tons of stuff in between.

I purchased all of the toolboxes that Borland published for Turbo Pascal as
TP was going object oriented.  Man I loved it, it was soooo powerful.
Looking back on it now it was like tinker toys.

I am not saying that .net isn't a PITA, it definitely is.  There is a LOT to
learn and a LOT of stuff to discover and figure out, but man it is in a
completely different league from anything I have ever seen before.  The guys
making 800s on their SATs are designing stuff that I can use to make me look
like I scored 700s on mine.  ;-)

I think that is pretty darned awesome.

http://folding.stanford.edu/