[AccessD] The future of Access, .NET and SQL

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Wed Sep 28 23:20:10 CDT 2005

XML ain't frightening of course the villagers may show up with pitchforks.

Here is a simple method for using Access Smart Tags to display either
Google maps or weather given a zip code.

if you need it for certain  european areas just add  or pop the (Text }
address field comma seperated
via a http post web service it takes two minutes to add this to an
Access Mdb

Turnoff MS Word Access or Outlook, that may have the smatrtag engine open
Make sure that all Microsoft Office XP or Office 2003 applications are
closed.

Cut and Paste these two xml files below  with NotePad into indicated
paths and save as UTF-8 format  not ANSI.

Now in Access
Select the Tools -> Options... menu to open the Options dialog window.
Select the "Forms/Reports" tab, then ensure that the "Show Smart Tags on
Forms" check box on the bottom left of the window is checked.  Select the
"Datasheet" tab, then ensure that the "Show Smart Tags on Datasheets" check
box on the bottom right of the window is checked.

Select the "OK" button to save your changes.

Choose Tools: AutoCorrect Options.  These also may have certain smarttag
options

Now on your form in design view select the zip code fileld and embed the
smarttag by right clicking on the smarttag field property
to build it, the wizard comes up and places the following type of urn in
the property "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:smarttags:list"
The wizard looks at the dll's  and xml files in C:\Program Files\Common
Files\Microsoft Shared\Smart Tag\LISTS\

Hover your mouse pointer over  the form zip code field, click the Smart
Tag Actions button, and then click Weather by ZIP code.
or google map, An IE window will now open with your google map.

To link the Customer Name field to the Smart Tag, follow these steps:

    # Open the client database table in Design View.
    # Select the Customer Name field row.
    # Click the Builder button next to the Smart Tags field property in
the field properties window.
    # Click the People check box and click OK.

Now, when the customer service representative uses the form to look up a
client, a Smart Tag icon will appear next to the client's name. By
clicking on the Smart Tag's icon drop-down box, the representative can
add the client to his/her Outlook contacts, send the client an e-mail,
or schedule a meeting with the client.
http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-10877_11-5875431.html?tag=sc

Cut and Paste these two xml files below  with NotePad into indicated
paths and save as UTF-8 format  not ANSI.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Smart Tag\LISTS\GoogleMap.xml

<FL:smarttaglist xmlns:FL="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:smarttags:list">
   <FL:name>Local Map</FL:name>
   <FL:description>Your local map report on Google</FL:description>
   <FL:moreinfourl>http://msdn.microsoft.com/office</FL:moreinfourl>
   <FL:smarttag type="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags#weather">
      <FL:caption>Local Map on Google</FL:caption>
      <FL:terms>
         <FL:termlist>98052,02134</FL:termlist>
      </FL:terms>
      <FL:actions>
         <FL:action id="LocalMap">
            <FL:caption>Map by ZIP code</FL:caption>
                     <FL:url>http://maps.google.com/maps?q={TEXT}</FL:url>
         </FL:action>
      </FL:actions>
   </FL:smarttag>
</FL:smarttaglist>

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Smart Tag\LISTS\weather.xml

<FL:smarttaglist xmlns:FL="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:smarttags:list">
   <FL:name>Local Weather</FL:name>
   <FL:description>Your local weather report on MSNBC.</FL:description>
   <FL:moreinfourl>http://msdn.microsoft.com/office</FL:moreinfourl>
   <FL:smarttag type="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags#weather">
      <FL:caption>Local Weather on MSNBC</FL:caption>
      <FL:terms>
         <FL:termlist>98052,02134</FL:termlist>
      </FL:terms>
      <FL:actions>
         <FL:action id="LocalWeather">
            <FL:caption>Weather by ZIP code</FL:caption>

<FL:url>http://www.msnbc.com/news/wea_front.asp?ta=y&
      tab=BW&tp=&czstr={TEXT}</FL:url>
         </FL:action>
      </FL:actions>