[AccessD] The future of Access, .NET and SQL

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at users.mns.ru
Thu Sep 29 02:48:37 CDT 2005

Jim,

Did you ask the trainers how good/bad such half-generated ASP.NET
application will work on high workload of 1,000, 10,000, 100,000 etc. users?

I did work a few with ASP.NET 1.1 but I have a colleague who have written
real apps - he says there is no way to have highly scalable ASP.NET
applications if one uses web forms with code behind etc. - one have to write
many things manually, with most of the code stripped from code behind into
compiled .dlls,  fine tune caching etc.etc - only in this case one can get
highly scalable effective ASP.NET applications...

... I can be wrong but I think "there is no miracles in this World" - all
these great features and RAD are more marketing campaign than anything
else - a lot of work is needed to develop a real masterpiece software
including ASP.NET 2.0 based...

...of course "toys" web applications for not very high workload can be
developed in "toy mode" promoted by MS marketing campaign. And it may happen
this is all what is needed for many small businesses to become
"webisized"...

...yes, I know MS does do a lot in the area of software architecture and MS
is developing pre-built  blocks but this is IMO still a long way to go until
they become really fine tuned for high workload....

...and MS usually tends to solve tough tasks of "software efficiency
bottlenecks" by adding more and speedier hardware - yes, hardware is
becoming cheaper and cheaper every day but to keep up&running all that "Web
farms", "SQL Server farms" experienced system engineers are needed...

Recap:
======
-VS.NET 2005 and ASP.NET 2005 - is yet another "crazy technology race
catch-up" - they promise a lot but ROI could be not as big as one may expect
it to be if any at all;

- yes, I go this "crazy" way of course because I like VS.NET and because
I have no option to "quit to a farm here and to program just for pleasure"
but after all that years of my working in IT-industry I'd not go blind -
I'd check and stress-test all that RAD solutions MS promotes before
relying on them...

Shamil