[AccessD] The future of Access, .NET and SQL

Susan Harkins ssharkins at bellsouth.net
Thu Sep 29 11:32:22 CDT 2005

What I have always liked about Office is the unique blend of capabilities
available to all users. It tremendously narrowed the Great Divide between
the IT tribe and the User tribe because users could be much more self
sufficient. From spreadsheet to pivot table to Access table to wizards and
macros to eventually full fledged VBA there exists a power path for those
willing to climb it. A power user could actually become a developer if so
inclined. My first impression of the new paradigm is that the chasm has
widened again and that users will once again be relegated to their little
pond. For any functionality outside of that they will have to go hat in hand
to the IT powers that be. Shades of the 70s! The user ghetto may be fancier
but it is a ghetto all the same. Take the word from someonme who has
struggled to achieve self sufficieny for 30 years, starting with the IBM
360. Power users had a fighting chance for independence with tools like VBA.
Are they going to invest the time to learn Net? I doubt it. How sad.

===========This is what I was trying to say yesterday, but I think you've
said it much better than I did. Thank you.

Susan H.