[AccessD] The future of Access, .NET and SQL

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Sep 29 18:23:49 CDT 2005

Shamil,

I signed up with an outfit called Guru.com.  I have bid on about 30 or so
jobs, and got my first job today.  The jobs coming across are mostly just
good for a laugh.  I literally saw one that went something like:

"You will build a web crawler that will find the price of 4 of my books on
Amazon.com.  You will then find the lowest selling price and then you will
replace my current selling price with 1c less than the lowest selling price.
You will email me this and log that, and you will track something else.  The
winning bid for this job will be no more than $75.00"

I'm just rolling on the floor laughing.  And the sad part is that probably
95% of the jobs that come across are equally ludicrous.  This guy knew what
he wanted, he just wanted it done by a high school freshman who thought $75
was a lot of money.  Most of these guys looking for help don't even know
that much.

Today I did win a bid for "3-4 weeks work finishing an application to track
...".  All I did was bid my hourly wage for time worked and assured them I
was capable.  This job looks legitimate, and the company looks real - they
have an internet site and offices around the country.  I have an appointment
to meet with one of the partners Monday morning to begin working with him
defining what needs to be done etc etc.  At least they appear to have a
clue, they have something started, that they admit was started by a partner
who got in over his head, and which they need straightened out and finished.

That is exactly what I do a lot of the time so here we go.  Trying to get
work over the internet is no picnic.  I guess it's just a numbers game, bid
XX times and one will come your way.  With any luck that one will keep
giving you hours occasionally and you go back out bidding for the next job.

http://folding.stanford.edu/