[AccessD] The future of Access, .NET and SQL

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Sep 29 19:15:51 CDT 2005

>... but they can't afford (just do not want) to pay well for custom
software development.

Yes, we have the same issues here.  Which is exactly why RAD is so vital.
You can sell tens of hours of dev at a good wage IF you can accomplish it in
the time frame.  Once you get the basics up, then the "can it do this little
thing" syndrome takes over and you do "upgrades" for the rest of your life.

But again, the little guys will just walk if you come in saying "200 hours
at $60 / hour" (or whatever your rate is).  I have a firmly held belief that
is difficult to do much in the way of database development in under about
100 hours - in terms of a real system.  The smallest companies need it in
20-40 hours, that is their comfort range for budget.  I can actually do that
for the simplest things, in fact I am in one now that I quoted 40 hours on
and it is coming in at that - minus reports which of course can go on
forever...

I do believe though that I have a rather large advantage in this arena, that
being my framework.  As you probably know I can link to my framework and
just instantly have such things as zip/unzip, log files to disk or tables,
SysVars for program control, form and control classes for sinking events
(Thanks to a gentleman by the name of Shamil) and doing the standard stuff
like NotInList, RecordSelectors etc.  So I can build forms with all that
stuff in minutes instead of hours or days.

Working the small business market is no joy ride but the nice thing about
the small guy is that he is has no clue how to "go to India" for his work so
if he is going to do a database, he is a prospect of mine.

http://folding.stanford.edu/