[AccessD] Access Application - per unit cost

ewaldt at gdls.com ewaldt at gdls.com
Wed Apr 5 12:12:47 CDT 2006

I have been working on an Access application for several years.  My client
has asked for a "per unit cost" for the development of this application,
although he is unsure what "unit" is most meaningful (e.g., database
object, lines of code, etc.).

The database functions vary tremendously in their complexity --- e.g., some
reports are very simple while others contain several subreports, and/or
output spreadsheets or files.  The database contains lots of VBA code.

Are there any white papers, etc. that address this issue?  In your opinion,
what is the best method of computing a "per unit cost"?

Thanks,
Barb Ryan

Why does the client want this? If the client is trying to justify the cost,
or perhaps is wanting to roll the cost into whatever he/she produces, I
would just take the overall charges to the client and divide the total by
however many widgets he/she has produced in that time period. The only
other "unit" cost that might make sense, I suppose, would refer to the
number of people using your program. This would involve dividing the total
of charges by the number of users, and then dividing again by the number of
versions (however you would determine that), since each version could be
considered an additional "unit". That is, if 10 people have used 3
versions, that could be considered 30 units. It is fuzzy, though, as you
indicate.

You could also include database objects as you suggest; reports and
subreports sound legitimate to me, but lines of code?

Just some thoughts. HTH.

Thomas F. Ewald
FCS Database Manager
General Dynamics Land Systems
(586) 276-1256

This is an e-mail from General Dynamics Land Systems. It is for the intended recipient only and may contain confidential and privileged information.  No one else may read, print, store, copy, forward or act in reliance on it or its attachments.  If you are not the intended recipient, please return this message to the sender and delete the message and any attachments from your computer. Your cooperation is appreciated.