[AccessD] Access Application - per unit cost

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at users.mns.ru
Fri Apr 7 18:55:50 CDT 2006

> but about the process by which things get done, how people
> perceive things, and how they communicate.  .
Jim,

These processes are becoming more and more similar everywhere - believe me.

> That all affects the process
> flow, software design, and development effort
True, but partially, there are more conceptual things in business processes,
which are invariant all around the World.
I'm reading here currently Allan Cooper "About Face 2.0" (another his famous
book "The inmates are running the asylum") - this is a book how modern
software interfaces should be designed and developed - of course if one
reads/writes right to left then the software interface should differ in that
area but that's all probably.

Software like CRM may still differ considerably because local habits and
behaviors in different places on this small planet are rather different but
the ways of handling business and software for modern small-/middle- size
and especially corporate level businesses are quickly getting unified...

> there are still fundamental differences in the way people in different
> nations get things done.
Jim, I think, there is no such fundamental differences - we're very much
alike, believe me or not.
Communism/totalitarism here and in the countries influenced by it created
some of still existing current differences in life level.
Colonialism of the 19th and the first part of 20th century created the
differences we still have between the West and the "free from communistic
heritage/influence" Latin America, Asia and Africa

When first time on the West in 1995 in Germany (Hamburg) I was so surprised
how ineffectively they have organized their business, how chaotic, hectic
and stressful their life is - the first my open question was: "How it comes
that in this situation they have so high average life level?" - the simple
answer come from one of my colleague who was originally from Russia and who
lived in Germany by that time for many years and who had a German by
nationality wife and kids - he said: "We in Germany have 8% of population
working hard and effectively, you there in Russia have 4% - these 4% make
all the difference". I believed him that time and the more I see the more
I'm getting convinced that he was very true. The current differences are
historical heritage but this World's countries are very quickly getting
their 8% of active population working hard and in another 50 years or less
all the differences in the life level should disappear by the wealth created
by these 8% of World's active population....

Well, there are some rather important fundamental differences between the
West and the East workstyles I think:

- Western people rarely start working without (at least rough) planning of
what they will do and if they plan something then they rather strictly
follow this plan and "fight till the end" - Eastern people often start and
go "nowhere" without clear plans, with often changing minds etc;
- another fundamental difference is IMO that Western people do invest
significant time and resources into environment/business infrastructure even
before they start the real business - and Eastern people can make their
business without such preparations and the absence of such preparations
plays very bad in long run...

And of course the most fundamental difference is that a human being's life
is "dirt cheap" here and priceless there...

But, once again, software programming for business applications is very much
alike here and there - this observation comes from my real life experience
in programming for businesses and in communicating with customers here and
there....

Shamil