[AccessD] Printing PDF files

Tom Keatley tom.p at piedpiper.com.au
Mon Apr 17 18:57:58 CDT 2006

John...
Whether it is any help or not.....

I have the same situation in that I have to produce invoices as a normal
report (to a printer) and also produce a PDF copy which is then saved to a
directory of my choosing on the fly

I have built this facility into code by.....

Having a table with a default printer field.

Changing the default printer to my PDF utility (after saving my default
printer in my field).

I use Jaws Systems PDF writer although there are a LOT of these type of
programs .
Although I dont need it I believe the JAWS PDF utility will allow you via
code to specify a directory as part of the command just as it allows you to
name the file ....

I then print the report to PDF which will be saved in the default directory
I have set up for it.
The file name is actually the caption property of the report.
Then change back to the previous default printer and print the report to the
printer

As far as the users are concerned it is pretty transparent ...all they see
is the print dialog come up for a sec while it is writing to the PDF file
and then theys see the next dialog come up for the printer report...

I use a printer class from ATTAC Consulting   (On the fly printing? I think)
to handle all printing requirements although that was because I lacked the
abilities to use printer API's properly myself (which you probably dont)

I can send you code snippets if you need them

REgards

Tom Keatley