[AccessD] report on Access Devcon Las Vegas

Martin Reid mwp.reid at qub.ac.uk
Sat Apr 22 05:58:38 CDT 2006

Jim

More or less agree. All the demo apps that come with Access 2007 are designed with SharePoint in mind. SharePoint is the real focus of Office 2007 in a BIG way.

Lots of argument on the beta lists over this and the push for users. This version is geared to teh "office" user as you say the power user who needs to know nothing about database design at all. Major argument now about multi value fields and attachment datatypes.

As you have said there are no VBA anything in the new templates everything is macro driven again to make it easy for new users.

I would not write ADPs of yet. You can still use them in Access 2007 BUT the default is linked tables. I am waiting on an email from them re ADPS and SQL Server 2005 - they aint dead but how much we can use them will have to wait and see. TNis is one of the major things I post about on the beta lists.

If someone arranges it I am happy to post a lot of stuff on Office client apps including Access on teh DBA web site. I cannot yet post on the server applications as they are still under NDA

Martin

Martin WP Reid
Training and Assessment Unit
Riddle Hall