[AccessD] OT: Friday info

artful at rogers.com artful at rogers.com
Fri Aug 4 11:32:40 CDT 2006

No, Drew, JC argued with me and a few others. It's always about You, init? However, my work has taken me increasingly into SQL Server and relatively away from Access, so my former regular forays into the arguments here have grown fewer and fewer as time passes. Now I find myself thinking about SQL 2005 and ERwin to the exclusion of most everything else. But I do miss the arguments here.

And speaking of which, I think that I'll proffer a self-contradiction here. Long-time readers may recall my strenuous advocations of autonumbers/identity keys. My most recent two projects have caused me to rethink this position. I am beginning to realize the intelligence underlying the "business keys" approach. That is, given three tables, T1, T2 and T3, arranged hierarchically:

T1: PK is, say T1PK.
T2: inherits T1PK and adds a new column T2K, the combination being unique.
T3: inherits its parent PK (T1PK+T2K) and adds a column that produces unique values.

Formerly, I judged this scenario a complete waste of time and space. No longer. I have found myself in situations where sids (surrogate IDs) have pointed to sids -- which is ridiculous! I had to create 20+ joins to get the required data assembled. Intelligent (business) keys made the problem a LOT simpler and the retrieval times a LOT faster, and the only cost was disk space. The app already knew what the parent key values were, so it was trivial to write them to the new child record.

The point of this is that for years I have advocated position X, but the last two apps made me rethink it, and for those two apps I chose to go the intelligent key approach instead. Mind  you, I was dealing with many millions of rows, so that is a factor in the decision, for sure.

Arthur