[AccessD] Should be simple

John Clark John.Clark at niagaracounty.com
Tue Aug 22 15:37:15 CDT 2006

I am working on a DB that I am trying to finish up. I've shown it to the
users and they like it, but of course there are a few alterations to be
made. A couple of them are actually just things I overlooked.

I have a form where defendants are entered into a system. Actually, it
is all names associated with a case (i.e. lawyers, judges, victims,
defendants, etc.) and the system sorts them out by their check box
designations on entry or edit.

I have a drop-down box in place to choose a lawyer...same w/many of the
fields, but I'll use lawyer here. I used a union query to place a
"<CREATE NEW ENTRY>" option, at the top of the drop-down. If the user
clicks on this option, they are taken to the form to enter new names,
and the default check is placed, depending on where you came from (I use
OpenArgs for this). It also knows where to go back to. The code used for
this is:

Private Sub txtAttorney_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer)

If txtAttorney.SelText = "<ENTER NAME>" Then
    DoCmd.OpenForm "frm_Subjects", acNormal, , , acFormAdd,
acWindowNormal, "ATT"
    Me.Visible = False
End If

End Sub

However, I have tried adding the same ability to the "Charges" field,
and the last liine gives me trouble. It says, "You can't hide a control
that has the focus."

I know what this means, but I just copied the code from elsewhere in
the same program, and it works there.

Any ideas?

John W. Clark