[AccessD] Did you know? Or more correctly - I never knew...

Michael R Mattys mmattys at rochester.rr.com
Mon Aug 28 10:16:39 CDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "JWColby" <jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com>
To: "'Access Developers discussion and problem solving'"
<accessd at databaseadvisors.com>
Sent: Monday, August 28, 2006 10:44 AM
Subject: [AccessD] Did you know? Or more correctly - I never knew...

-Snip-
> It turns out that even though the base query pulls out only the records
> with
> dates, it apparently hands ALL the records up to the query built on top of
> the base query and since some of those records have nulls in the dates,
> the
> appointment function complains about nulls passed in to the date fields.
-Snip-
> So... why is it doing this, and is there a way to force the base query to
> only pass up the filtered result set such that only valid dates are
> pulled?
-Snip-

The fastest way to get the desired result set would be to append to a temp
table.
As to why ... there was a Deconstructing Querydefs article by Ken Getz a few
years ago that might help to explain it.
The link at http://www.developershandbook.com/downloads.htm is dead.
I wonder if anyone saved the article?

Michael R. Mattys
MapPoint Developer