[AccessD] Transferring a database to another SQL Server

Francisco Tapia fhtapia at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 12:00:16 CDT 2006

Most often your client network protocols are not in synch.  If you are
able ping each machine then there should be no firewall restrictions
between each.  If you do not get a ping back then let's look at your
firewall configurations.  Next, I would open up the client network
utility on both servers and check to see what your protocols are on
each machine generally Named Pipes and TCP/IP should be selected but
if they are not, choose each now, and see if that fixes the problem.
Still not?  Next thing you can do is setup an Alias to the other
server by typing in the server name in the named box and the IP in the
address box and selecting what port you will be connecting on (if it's
not 1433).

On 8/27/06, JWColby <jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com> wrote:
> I have just finished rebuilding a machine (new motherboard) and need to
> transfer a large SQL Server database to that new server.  The two servers
> can see each other (shared folders), but ...
>
> I cannot register the other SQL Servers, getting an error "Login failed for
> 'MachineName\Guest'.  I get this error on either machine when trying to
> register the SQL Server on the other machine.  My login user / password is
> the same on both machines.  Both databases were installed using "Windows
> Authentication" rather than "SQL Server Authentication".
>
> Any ideas?
>

> John W. Colby
> Colby Consulting
> www.ColbyConsulting.com