[AccessD] MDW stuff

JWColby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Dec 5 09:19:04 CST 2006

I have always logged in to my PC at my client's using the administrator
username / password.  Now that I am no longer physically close to the
client, I have to troubleshoot "user problems" as a user instead of just
walking to a user's computer and looking at the problem.  So I asked the
client to set me up a jwcolby user, which they did, but when I try to get
into the database I get "database already in use or you don't have
permission...".  I suspect that a new MDW file was created and my new user
is using that, which prevents getting in to the database.

According to a KB article:

 By default, on computers that are running Microsoft Windows 2000, the
System.mdw file is created in the user profile in the following path.

NOTE: The Application Data folder is a hidden folder.
C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application
Data\Microsoft\Access\System.MDW

On my work computer there is no Access directory, and if I search for *.MDW
I find them at:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\System

and

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\ Office

How do I determine which MDW is being used by the administrator user, and
then how do I force Access to use that mdw file for the new jwc user?

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting