[AccessD] Independent Consulting

Dan Waters dwaters at usinternet.com
Wed Dec 6 18:38:22 CST 2006

Hi Barb,

Having done this 4 years ago, these are my thoughts:

1)  Charge a respectable rate.  I started out charging $50/hr, only to find
out that potential customers would see that as me not knowing what I'm
doing.  Next year I'm charging $120/hr without complaint.  If a customer can
easily see that they get more value than they paid you, they won't worry
about your rate.  You might charge a fixed rate for certain projects - a
chance for more money.  Another possibility, although a challenge to
implement, could be to charge an ongoing or one-time percent of the value
you have provided to them.

2)  Explicitly tell potential customers how they will gain more value than
you will charge.  Go into some detail on this - they will then feel like
they are informed and be more comfortable with you.

3)  Go a little slow - get to know your primary contacts somewhat
personally.  This goes a long way toward trust and being able to resolve the
inevitable conflicts that arise, and they'll open up more to you.  But,
remember that their primary loyalty will stay with their own company.

4)  Always be on your customers' side.  Provide solutions and suggestions
they didn't think of.

5)  Don't start work until you've signed a contract.  I got slightly burned
on this once.  A good contract structure is to agree on how to work
together.  Then you can write a new Statement of Work for each project which
gets into deliverables, schedules, payments, and so forth.  This reduces the
trepidation associated with signing a contract.  If you've got a good
history with a client, and YOU feel comfortable you can make verbal
agreements.  Some people are quite uncomfortable with written agreements
(they may not say so) and may avoid you just to avoid the written agreement.

6)  Consider being a Limited Liability Corporation (LLC).  This avoids the
difficulty of being a subchapter S corp, and gives you protection like a
corporation.  Talk to attorney about this though.

7)  An Accountant? - I guess that depends on your billing rate!  I don't use
an accountant, but since I'm finally making some money this year, it hasn't
mattered till now.

8)  Set up a small web site.  This gives you a presence that other people
can quickly find if you give them your business card.  For your site, you
will drive people to it for more information - don't expect your web site to
generate business for you.  Be very clear and comprehensive on your site as
to what you do.  Make it simple and easy to read - no flashy graphics - it's
a business site.  The purpose of your web site is to get people interested
enough to CALL you - not to sell you.  Don't provide enough information that
would allow people to cross you off their list.  Your goal is to talk to
them person to person - you sell you - not your site!

9)  At first, your ability to sell and market yourself is what makes you or
breaks you.  If you can find a mentor to help you with this, pay them!  I
was introduced to a person who is a software salesperson, and his help has
been invaluable.

10)  I've come up against a situation where the IT folks in a customer's
site feel competitive with me.  If this happens you can't stop it - it's
their emotions.  Just be aware that can this occur.

11) Emphasize the comprehensiveness of your experience.  Managers like
people who can do a lot.

12) Some customers may want you to take the lead on a project!  Managers
also like people who can start the job and get it done so they can do other
things.  If you are a good project manager then you are more valuable!  With
one customer, I update and provide a gannt chart weekly, and I gently bug
people to get things done.

13) References give you credibility as an independent person!  If you can,
find some small jobs, maybe for people you know, and get references that
way.  It will help!

Best of Luck!

Dan Waters