[AccessD] OT: Dice.com on ms access

Hale, Jim Jim.Hale at FleetPride.com
Fri Dec 8 16:40:49 CST 2006

Wow, a succinct description of the value and attraction of Access (legos)
and an epitaph (forced to move to .Net) all on the same day. Both dead on.
This old hoss doesn't want to learn new tricks. Maybe I can be put out to
stud?
Jim Hale

-----Original Message-----
From: Charlotte Foust [mailto:cfoust at infostatsystems.com]
Sent: Friday, December 08, 2006 4:05 PM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: Re: [AccessD] OT: Dice.com on ms access

For commercial operations like ours, Access has become an albatross.  IT
departments disparage Access and pass the attitude along wo their own
superiors, so we were forced to move to .Net in order to provide the slick
interface and web-based options the customers and the competition required.
I've always felt Access was misperceived by MS as an end-user tool.  End
users can certainly use it and they can build very BAD databases in it, but
it takes know-how to build a competent application in Access.

The advantages of .Net and Ajax are more in interface than anywhere else,
but in that area, they are worlds away from what Access can do up through
2003.  You still gotta have a database in there somewhere, and we still
offer an Access backend, even with .Net.

Charlotte Foust