[AccessD] Query Mathematics

Hale, Jim Jim.Hale at FleetPride.com
Wed Dec 27 16:02:18 CST 2006

Keith,
create a query that generates the total you want as the denominator. In the
query grid add this query without any join to the other query . Add the
field from this summary query to the grid. When you run the query you will
see the total from the summary query will appear in every record. This will
enable you to create a new field dividing each number by the total. HTH
Jim Hale

-----Original Message-----
From: Keith Williamson [mailto:Kwilliamson at rtkl.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 27, 2006 9:32 AM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: [AccessD] Query Mathematics

Hi all,

Is it possible to do a "percent of total" calculation within a summary
query?  I have a query that sums up actual hours worked, by profit
center; and then divides this by the standard actual hours in the pay
period.  This gives me the FTE (full-time equivalents) employees per
profit center.  I, then, want to take the total FTE of each center, and
calculate the percent of all FTE's.  Is it possible to do this in the
query?

Here is the Center FTE expression:

CenterFTE: Sum([ActReg])/(First([countoftimewkend])*40)

And I'd like to divide the above, by the total of all CenterFTE
expressions.

I've been doing this in a report, but am trying to get this calculation
down to the query level, for ease of exporting into excel.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Keith E. Williamson | Assist. Controller| kwilliamson at rtkl.com

RTKL Associates Inc. | 901 South Bond Street | Baltimore, Maryland
21231-3305

410-537-6098 direct | 410-276-2136 fax | www.rtkl.com
<http://www.rtkl.com/>