[AccessD] Update query between access table and txt linked file does not work.

Erwin Craps - IT Helps Erwin.Craps at ithelps.be
Thu Feb 23 04:00:40 CST 2006

Hi

I have a query between a Access table and a linked txt file in Access
2003.
The access table contains articles but with a short article description,
the linked txt file contains same articles with long descriptions.
I want to update the access table so this also contains long
descriptions.

So I linked the 2 tabled based on ArtID but halfway the execution of the
query it suddenly says "I cannot update tables that are linked with this
ISAM".

The thing is when setting the query to view I can change the
descriptions manualy!!!
And further more, I am only updating one field and that field is in the
access table NOT in the linked table.

I know I can workaround using code (slow!) or to import the txt file
which bloats the database, but that are not solutions I want to
implement unless I have to.

Here's the query
UPDATE DISTINCTROW PROD_MainIMPORT INNER JOIN TechData_Descriptions ON
PROD_MainIMPORT.ProductCode = TechData_Descriptions.ArtID SET
PROD_MainIMPORT.ProductDescription =
[TechData_Descriptions.Description];

PROD_MainIMPORT = regular Access Table
TechData_Descriptions= linked txt file.

Erwin Craps

Zaakvoerder

www.ithelps.be/onsgezin

This E-mail is confidential, may be legally privileged, and is for the
intended recipient only. Access, disclosure, copying, distribution, or
reliance on any of it by anyone else is prohibited and may be a criminal
offence. Please delete if obtained in error and E-mail confirmation to
the sender.

IT Helps - I.T. Help Center  ***  Box Office Belgium & Luxembourg

www.ithelps.be <http://www.ithelps.be/>   *  www.boxoffice.be
<http://www.boxoffice.be/>   *  www.stadleuven.be
<http://www.stadleuven.be/>

IT Helps bvba* ** Mercatorpad 3 **  3000 Leuven

IT Helps  *  Phone: +32 16 296 404  *  Fax: +32 16 296 405 E-mail:
Info at ithelps.be

Box Office **  Fax: +32 16 296 406 **  Box Office E-mail:
Staff at boxoffice.be <mailto:figures at boxoffice.be>