[AccessD] OT:RAID and Access Projects

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Thu Feb 2 07:23:31 CST 2006

Hi Max:

It depends on how your raid is configured. If it is raid 1, using hardware
like 'Promise' technology then in theory the second drive is just a copy of
the first. If you have used something like 'stripping' then the data is
really spread evenly over the 2 drives.

In both cases, I would 'Ghost' (if you have access to that Symantec's app)
or image the drive(s) using any CD creator program (Nero, Roxy etc.) to a
large external or connected drive (externals really cheap now... $150 CAD
for 200GB USB drive) or attach the large new drive ($99.00 CAD) off your
computer. (Most mother-boards support up to 3 drives per connector and all
within the last 5 years have at least 2 and up to 6 connectors.)

Then, either, depending on your configuration, if hardware Raid; set the
jumper on the Motherboard or on the boot-up BIOS (that may be all there is
to it if a Mirrored setup). After that just re-mage the saved image back to
boot hard-drive or depending on how you have imaged/ghosted the old drive
content to the new large drive, you may be able use the new drive as your
start-up drive.

Note; if you are re-building you original drive have a tested boot floppy or
CD with the appropriate recovery tools.

It sound wordy but it is a fairly straight forward process and it does
depend on your current configuration. Further concerns would probably be
better brought up on the DBA technology list or hardware supplier.

HTH
Jim