[AccessD] OT: Linux, Open Suite and Access

Bryan Carbonnell carbonnb at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 15:10:58 CST 2006

On 02/02/06, Ken Ismert <KIsmert at texassystems.com> wrote:

> Bryan,
>
> >>the problem with KOffice is that it is only native to Linux...
>
> Oops... But for a hypothetical Free OS/Free Office Suite/EZ-MRP bundle,
> that would be OK.

You know, I really need to read the whole thread carefully. The
question WAS about it being on Linux. Doh!!

What I like about OOo is that once its written on one platform, it
*should* work on all the platforms that support OOo.

> I looked at the Koffice web site, and found out these things about Kexi:
>
> * Native MySQL/PostgreSQL support

Nice.

> * No ODBC support

Not a biggie for me.

> * Uses SQLite as its native engine

Cool.

> * Native Forms, in the Access sense

Cool.

> * Conversion of Access Data to native format (early beta, though)

I'd be interested in seeing how this works on some fairly hefty apps I've got.

> * No Reports yet.
>
> That last bit is a kicker. No reports = not yet ready for primetime.

Doh!! The knock out punch. Althoug, depending on the complexity I
wonder if pushing the data to a KWord document might work out fine in
the short run.

Bryan Carbonnell - carbonnb at gmail.com
shouting "What a great ride!"