[AccessD] Missing records

John Colby jwcolby at ColbyConsulting.com
Fri Feb 3 12:54:47 CST 2006

>I really prefer to control it at the form by not allowing deletes there.
If they can't delete it at the form level then Cascade Deletes never becomes
an issue.

And so I design a new form and forget to.... I am a VP and remoting in from
home and build a query and...  I am the power user and manage to get to the
database window and...

Your job is to outsmart the idiots.  God's job is to design better idiots.
Who has been on the job longer?

The database engine has these things for a reason.  You can't delete my
client record I don't care WHAT you do, without deleting all child records
first, in all child tables.

Again, I don't care if you use them, I just care that you UNDERSTAND the
consequences of using them.  Lord knows if you don't have time to build a
delete query and a button that only supervisors can get to, you don't have
time to design an Active / trash system.

Whatever you do, do NOT believe that backups can always rescue your young
*ss.  If some particularly smart idiot has been unknowingly deleting things
over the last year, you will NEVER get all the records out of all the backup
tapes.

Understand the consequences, then make an informed decision.

Honestly, I'm not sold on Cascade Delete being off.  It makes it much easier
to work if it's on when record does require deletion (like your invoice
example).

I really prefer to control it at the form by not allowing deletes there.  If
they can't delete it at the form level then Cascade Deletes never becomes an
issue.

Reuben Cummings
GFC, LLC
812.523.1017