[AccessD] (OT) VB Express + SQL Server Express ??

Susan Harkins harkinsss at bellsouth.net
Sat Feb 11 10:33:22 CST 2006

Also, VB doesn't have a reporting feature like Access.  SS 2005 has
Reporting Services, but SS Express doesn't.

So, is the idea of using VB Express with SQL Server Express for business
applications not feasible?

=========MS does the usual song and dance that Express products are for
amateurs, students, etc -- not business.

Does anyone have experience using these products yet?

=========Some, and I find them both excellent tools for the right jobs.
It'll give an awful lot of power and choices to the average user -- VB
Express writes all the code for you -- it's a great tool for the right
people. I don't think it's appropriate for heavy design/developers -- but I
would certainly consider it -- and then upgrade when necessary, if
necessary. I think that small business and small developers are going to
find a lot of use for the Express products -- despite MS's insistence that
they're toys. On the MS side, I think they know exactly what they're doing
-- making this stuff free will ultimately send a lot of people looking for
and purchasing more -- eventually. And, it stops the open source critics --
kind of.

Susan H.