[AccessD] Access 2000 Runtime Error (X-posted)

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Fri Feb 24 10:58:39 CST 2006

I am guessing without knowing the client's dll version numbers

The problem maybe best fixed by recreating your runtime Access 2000
program ensuring it is recompiled
with Office 2000 SP3 and Jet SP8 installed. Then reinstalling that, if
your Access 2000 program
isn't split into a backend, you will have trouble recovering the users
tables.

If they try to use DAO 3.6 with VB 6 code for mdb database creation they
will be creating in 2000 format not 97
unless specifically coded and that may cause problems since DAO 3.5
cannot read  2000 DAO 3.6 format.
It is however backward compatible. Their may also be ANSI vs Unicode
problems.

You might get lucky by re-registering MSJET35.dll
In the Run dialog, type the following command:
Regsvr32.exe  <DLL Name>
where DLL Name is the name of the DLL file, such as
"C:\WINDOWS\system32\msjet35.dll".
Path name should be in quotes to avoid spaces problem

or
 perhaps installing the old (last century) Jet SP3 security service pack
for DAO 350 only
This will re-register dll

Pay attention to what version of   MSJET35.dll is installed
otherwise the SP won't install.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q172733/

How to determine the current service pack level for Jet 3.5
Use the following steps to determine the Jet 3.5 service pack level that
is currently installed on your computer.
Note Because there are several versions of Microsoft Windows, the
following steps may be different on your computer. If they are, see your
product documentation to complete these steps.1. On the Start menu,
click Search.
2. In the Search Results pane under Search Companion, click All files
and folders.
3. In the All or part of the file name box, type msjet35.dll, and then
click Search.
4. In the list of files, right-click the msjet35.dll file located in the
Windows\System32 (or Windows\System) folder, and then click Properties.
5. Click the Version tab, and then use the following table to determine
the current Jet 4.0 service pack level:
Msjet35.dll Version Jet 3.5 Service Pack Level
3.51.2723.0 Service Pack 2 (SP2)
3.51.3203.0 Service Pack 3 (SP3)
3.51.3328.0 Service Pack 3 (SP3) with enhanced security

Also see

http://msdn.microsoft.com/data/downloads/updates/default.aspx#jet

If you're running Access on an NT box being a DHCP/WINS server etc, then
you need to stop the services, cause they themselves use Jet to handle
their databases.

--
Marty Connelly
Victoria, B.C.