[AccessD] Entering data in related tables in a single form

John Colby jwcolby at ColbyConsulting.com
Tue Feb 28 21:00:35 CST 2006

Rocky,

There are a hand full of tables that this data will initially go into.
There is a new table called "underwriter" which is "parent to" Policy (what
insurance company wrote the policy).  There is also policy holder (what
company / individual owns the policy?).  Then the policy table.  There is a
claimant table (who is filing the claim) and a Claim table (details about
the claim).  Claim is child to claimant as well as child to policy (kind
of).

There is actually a ProductType lookup which contains a "business block"
name, and the policy is related to the claim through a M2M with this product
type.  Insurance is a strange duck.  Lawyers write contracts (policies),
which might be just short term disability, just long term disability or
both.  Thus the same policy could have claims against it for short term and
long term and they are processed differently.  There are in fact about 15
product types and counting.  So Policy and Product type come together in a
m2m and the PK of that is a FK in the claim table.  THAT is the ugliest
piece of this whole database.  Well... Maybe not but you don't want to hear
it.  ;-)

All of these tables potentially need data inserted.  In fact tables like
Underwriter have just perhaps a dozen insurance company names in it, which
will then be selected by a combo in the policy form.  Policy holder though
already has several thousand records and will have an unknown number added
from these files.

So no, definitely not a simple structure here.