[AccessD] Can't write to an Excel spreadsheet

John Colby jwcolby at ColbyConsulting.com
Fri Jan 6 11:30:09 CST 2006

I created a spreadsheet in a workbook.  Placed text names in the top row for
four columns, saved the sheet.  I then linked the sheet to Access.  With no
data in the spreadsheet, the table shows no data, and there is no new record
row.  If I try to append data to Columns A and B using an append query, I
get a "you are using a non-updateable query" or something similar.  If I
name a range and link to the named range, with actual data in a few records,
the entire range shows, the data shows in the first few rows, but the whole
thing is non-updateable.

I thought that an Excel spreadsheet was updateable from Access.  Am I doing
something wrong or is Excel indeed not updateable from Access?