[AccessD] Access97 on W2000 crashes

Andy Lacey andy at minstersystems.co.uk
Mon Jan 9 07:07:32 CST 2006

Help guys

I have this Access 97 MDB (FE and BE both A97) which has been running for
years, mostly on W98 but also for some time on W2K. Last week something new
happened. 2 users who were previously on W98 went to W2K. They use a part of
the system which others don't, or at least they try to but when they do it
regularly crashes with:

"Msaccess.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will
need to restart the program. An error log is being created."

Needless to say no error log is created at all.

It isn't a coding error because everything works fine on W98.

I used the word 'regularly' above because it's intermittent (the worst
sort). Sometimes it runs fine, other times it crashes, and seemingly at
different points in the routine. I say seemingly but I'm not 100% sure
because debugging this is a nightmare. When it crashes it doesn't go into
debug, so the only way I can see is to step through and wait for it to
crash, but it's a huge routine and as it doesn't crash every time anyway
I'll be here til next Xmas trying to see where it fails.

When I Googled the error I found suggestions to reinstall Jet 3.5 SP3,
reinstall Office SR2B, recopy DAO350.DLL and increase Windows paging limits.
So I've done all of those things to no avail. Also it is not machine
specific. I've gone to another machine running W2K which has been running
the system for years (but not this are of functionality) and it crashes too
when I try this routine.

Has anyone had anything like this (and solved it)? Any bright ideas?

--
Andy Lacey
http://www.minstersystems.co.uk