[AccessD] More Strange Autonumber Behavior - Access 2002 (aka Access XP)

John Colby jwcolby at ColbyConsulting.com
Fri Jan 6 06:53:47 CST 2006

But was it an autonumber?  I have seen integer/longs where you started
placing values in the column and if the first two are consecutive, then
Access places the third and subsequent values in there automatically as the
next subsequent values.  IOW, it is not an autonumber (which is an actual
datatype) but rather just an int/long that happened to be incrementing.

From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Randall R Anthony
Sent: Friday, January 06, 2006 7:48 AM
To: accessd at databaseadvisors.com
Subject: Re: [AccessD] More Strange Autonumber Behavior - Access 2002 (aka
Access XP)

Sorry guys, I know what I saw and what fixed it.  If it was some kind of
anomally or what have you, so be it.

>>> Gustav at cactus.dk 01/06/06 7:41 AM >>>
Hi Branthon

In Access 2.0 you cannot specify the AutoNumber/Counter to anything else
than its native size (Long).

/gustav

>>> RRANTHON at sentara.com 06-01-2006 13:25 >>>
You would force me to look it up.  Access2.0.  And in more than one
instance.  ee-eefff

>>> Lambert.Heenan at aig.com 01/05/06 4:37 PM >>>
In every version of Acces that I have used AutoNumber fields can be either
Long Integers or Replication IDs. How could you have set one to an Integer?