[AccessD] email validation

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Sun Jan 8 17:25:10 CST 2006

On 8 Jan 2006 at 18:12, Arthur Fuller wrote:

> to be sure. What I wanted in those contexts was an event that would
> immediately attempt to send a message to the specified address, and holler
> at the user if it failed, placing the cursor back in the email field (in
> case of simple mis-spelling). I never did come to a correct method of doing
> this.

A few reasons off the top of my head why this will never work reliably,
there are probably a number of other reasons as well.

1. Emails are not instant messaging.  A recipient mail server may be
temporarily unavailable for any number of reasons. Many outbound servers
retry for up to four days to complete delivery.

2. Many servers accept (or at least appear to accept) all messages for a
domain whether the individual mailbox address is valid or not.

3. Challenge/response systems :-(

--
Stuart