[AccessD] Source Code Control

Josh McFarlane darsant at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 16:35:29 CST 2006

On 1/14/06, Dan Waters <dwaters at usinternet.com> wrote:
> Has anyone used a program called Vault from Sourcegear, or Perforce, while
> programming in Access?  If it worked, was it useful?

Dan,

For Access IIRC, source control will lose one of it's most important
featuers (diff'ing) with Access because Access is stored as a binary
file.

That said, I've used 3 different source control programs while working
on C++ coding.

Visual Source-Safe: Steer clear of this one - It's outdated and has a
high corruption rate on the source control database.

CVS: Open-source, widely used, and widely tested. Nice for single-file
verisoning. Made for Unix but NT versions are also available

Subversion: Also open source, this is what we currently use in shop.
It maintains versioning on a per-repository basis rather than a
per-file basis. Very very nice freeware client called TortioseSVN. Was
fairly easy to set up also. Also tracks file renames, directory
changes, and other meta information. Allows you to also add a meta-tag
to track changes due to bug-fixes from bug-tracking software, etc.

As a whole, it'd work great for a backup / revision system as long as
you made sure that when you checked in files you comment what changed.

If you try out Vault or Perforce, let me know what you think.

--
Josh McFarlane

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding."
-Albert Einstein