[AccessD] Ensuring FTP completion

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Tue Jan 17 08:55:46 CST 2006

Hi William

For a single or few files transfer most solutions will work - mostly a matter of taste.

For a specific client the task was to upload up to 3000 picture files.
If this is not going to take "forever" you need a multithreaded transfer client.
As the transfer still can take some time, a high quality user interface for monitoring the process was needed as well.
Further, I prefer an API, not building command lines.
Finally, the solution had to work from day one at the client.
All this for $40 and enough trial time to test everything out ... just the fact that you do not need to create a single form - decent design takes a lot of time - justifies the amount multiple times.

We are not using 3D-FTP for everything. Quite often only a single file are to be uploaded, say for backup, and then we mostly use wcl_ftp which is free but still offers a tiny user interface (not a DOS box which users find extremely primitive) to monitor the progress and success. I donated a complete code module for the purpose, and both you can download and use for zero cost.

Sometimes the command line is fine as you can be sure FTP.EXE exists on any Windows machine. A substitute, MoveIt, with similar command syntax is available in a free extended version - as well as for secure transfers - here, a little gem:

http://www.stdnet.com/products/?category_number=7&subcategory_number=1

/gustav

>>> wdhindman at bellsouth.net 17-01-2006 14:52 >>>
Gustav

...I'm curious as to what a third party ftp product allows you to do that
you can't do from vba? ...I've been using Access to ftp files for several
years now without a hitch ...why would I want to complicate that?

...I realize that you get bells and whistles ...but what basic functionality
is added that vba won't give you?

...while I've never found it necessary to check file integrity after ftping
it as JC needs to do, if the need arose I'd use vba to ftp the file back and
check it locally ...certainly that is a longer process but compared to what?
...and using vba I'm not subject to all the myriad of problems I've had
using 3rd party anything.

...there are times when 3rd party tools are essential ...but ftp seems to be
such a straight forward proposition in vba that I'm curious as to what you
find it won't allow you to do that is really necessary?

William