[AccessD] Source Code Control

Josh McFarlane darsant at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 10:49:14 CST 2006

On 1/16/06, Charlotte Foust <cfoust at infostatsystems.com> wrote:
> I don't know what you mean, Josh, but I suspect you haven't had actual
> experience with SourceSafe.  We use SourceSafe with Access and with
> VB.Net and have no problems comparing versions.  With Access, you do
> need the add-in that allows you to work with Source Safe from within
> Access (comes with the ODE, if I remember correctly).  This maintains
> each object as a separate sourcesafe file, not the entire database.  Nor
> have we had the corruption issues you describe.  ANY file can and will
> corrupt.  It isn't peculiar to any particular product or program.

I haven't used SourceSafe in Access personally, only C++ projects. I
find it interesting that they've worked out code to diff Access DBs,
but cannot make it compatible with Word for diffing.

Granted, everything can be corrupt, but source-safe has a very very
bad track record with corruption, even on simple things. I can't find
the link now, but once I hit my work computer I'll post it.

When it's all said and done, I still prefer a stability and safety
over easy integration with Office / Visual Studio.

--
Josh McFarlane
"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding."