[AccessD] OT - Progs Using Internet Connection

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Wed Jan 18 15:14:46 CST 2006

On 19 Jan 2006 at 10:06, David Emerson wrote:

> Thanks for the heads up everyone.
>
> The router I have is a Dynalink RTA220 ADSL Router. I have the
> firewall option set to advanced which allows me to block/allow both
> inward and outward packets.  Is this enough (assuming it is set
> correctly), or do I still need a software firewall?

I'd definitely go with software firewall as well.

I use Kerio Personal Firewall.

It warns if any application tries to access the internet and lets you allow
or deny on a on-off or permanent basis.

It also warns if an application tries to launch another application
(trojans can launch IE, telnet etc and use them as a proxy to  access the
internet)

Instal KPF (or ZoneAlarm) and you will be surprised at how many
applications try to "phone home" --
Stuart